Thursday, May 17, 2007

An Inauguration

Today is the day!!! The Inauguration of the Shrine of St. Therese of the Child Jesus. Why today? Today, May 17, is the day of her canonization, when this 24 year old Little Flower was made into a Saint by Pope Pius XI.

Our family, who has helped in the construction of the Shrine will formally turnover the key to the Shrine, so to speak, to the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines (MOP), who's land the Shrine is on.

Bishop Angel Lagdameo, in his homily, said something such as "how is it, that a Shrine, in St Therese's name, is built in the midst of the military?" Then his answer: St Therese is setting an example to our military: be simple, be holy. Strive to be holy. Hopefully, our military will heed this call.

The Shrine was graced with the presence of the President Gloria Arroyo. At least her being there lent some prestige to the event; I mean, really, it's the PRESIDENT :) Hehehe.

Boots Anson-Roa, an actress from the 60s and 70s was also on hand to do the First Reading. Showbiz-wise, we were covered, hehehe. Boots is a very nice lady. She is, in fact, the spokesperson for the Shrine. Very soft-spoken and ladylike, Boots was a class act.

The Shrine seats 1,600 people comfortable. For today, the entire Shrine was filled. All pews were taken; and there were still people standing by the sides, 2-person thick! It was THAT full! St Therese truly does have a following of devotees.

And yes, I was there in full Filipiniana regalia: my PINK (!) beaded poncho paired with a black skirt and my beaded bakya. My hair was in a bun, I carried a native, woven bag. I tied everything with some dangling pearl earrings that Japa had given me a few years ago. I was the epitome of Filipina. Well, not exactly. I am not a small person, I am not a diminutive person, I am not a quiet person. Other than those, yes, I was, for all intents and purposes, exuding Filipina.

When I stepped up to the Lectern for the Second Reading, I spoke loudly, clearly, authoritatively. I could hear my voice echo throughout the vast building. And the people..OMGosh, the people. They were all looking at me. All more-than-1,600 people strong. I pretended not to see them as I still pretended to look at them while doing my Reading, hehehe. And thank GOD that I did NOT slip going up and down the stairs on my way to and from the lectern! Sheesh! Imagine if I had fallen face down, or even slipped! Que horor! :)

My brothers and moi. The boys in their pina barongs and me in my kimona (see post below for full description, hehehe). We were standing at the end of the middle aisle of the Shrine, with our backs to the stained glass window of St Therese as the Doctor of the Church.
We had 80 (eighty!!!) priests in the entrance procession, each wearing an embroidered stole of St Therese and the Shrine, which Mom had had made for the occasion. In addition to the 80 priests, we had 6 Bishops and 1 Cardinal concelebrating the Mass. The mass took forever, with almost everything being sung! Uhm...high mass anyone? :)

There were also 3 or 4 children's choirs who filled the Shrine with their beautiful voices. They also had a mini concert at the end of mass, with each group rendering 2 songs each. It was great to see these children dressed in Filipiniana and singing their little hearts out, all for the glory of God. Just beautiful, and inspiring.

After the mass, we went to the Philippine Plaza to have a sumptious dinner. Ahhhh.....

TTFN!

No comments: