Saturday, January 19, 2008

CHESS

Can I just say that the MOST BORING thing you can ever do as a mother is to watch your child during his chess tournament???? Uuuuuggggggghhhhhh!!!!!! I never did like chess, even when I was a kid and Boydee and I would play it. I would get really impatient with all the waiting and dear Boydee knew it and would take FOREVER to make a simple move! Ack! How anyone could love this game is beyond me!!!

Anyway, BECAUSE my child seems to love this game, I swallow my pride and go with him at 9 am for a chess tournament. I stay in this warm room with the parents and peer through glass windows at Rogan having the time of his life (or as much emotion as you can possibly show while playing chess) during the tournament.

Rogan and the rest of his school had been playing chess since November or December. The boys from Ateneo, their opponents, had started playing chess when they were in Prep. They are now in Grade 3 or 4; that's 5 years of chess under their belts!!!! Heheeheh.

The MI boys had a respectable showing though, which made their coach pretty proud with their accomplishment. No, we didn't take any of the top spots, but a lot of the boys (and 1 girl!) came out with a few individual wins. Rogan finished with 3 losses, 2 wins, and 1 draw. Pretty ok. AND he was tired, but fulfilled. He said he was happy he participated, thanked me for coming with him, and promptly fell asleep in the car on the way home. Hehehe.

Wouldn't it be cool to have THIS chess set?


TTFN!

No comments: