Tuesday, June 05, 2007

May Round Up

This Round Up is a bit late, but I just HAD to do it, for posterity's sake....and for when and if I do a Year That Was sort of scrapbook album :)

My May 2007 Round Up

What books and/or magazines did I read this month?

On the first of May, I started a brand new blog, The Average Bookworm. I think it'll be a good look at the kinds of books I read throughout the month and the years to come. And yes, I'm definitely going to be updating that blog a bit with each book I read, good or bad. I want to work on getting back to being a voracious reader again.

Ok, books I've read in May (with links for MY own review about the book, hehehe) :

1. For One More Day by Mitch Albom
2. Xerxes Invades Greece
3. Started reading Illustrated Tales from Shakespeare, a super duper concise version of Shakespeare minus the English thee's and thou's, etc :)
4. Sophie Kinsella's Can You Keep A Secret?

Not a bad list. I have YET to start reading Harry Potter all over again. Since I'm pressed for time, I think I'm going to go ahead and read Raegan's British version (we bought her books in Singapore, so I'm pretty sure they're the British version, hehe). Should be interesting to read the differences, if any.

What movies and/or tv shows did I watch this month?

We watched Shrek the Third and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. Great movies, both.

For TV shows, I started and finished Brothers and Sisters! Thank goodness for downloadable episodes! Great great AWESOME series! Love it and can't wait for next season! I've also started watching Charmed, the series about the Halliwell sisters who are witches.

What special days did I celebrate and how?

May 5 -
Father Benny's 50th birthday. Mom and Tita Vkyh threw a surprise party for him, his first ever in 50 whole years!

May 8 - The twins' birthday. We had a wonderful, just-us-family dinner at an upscale restaurant. Love days when we can do this!

May 13 - Mother's Day and Housewarming Party of Dic and Lai. Simple and relaxing day.

May 14 - Local Elections. Although of course I wasn't able to cast my vote since the stupid lists didn't have my name on them! Grrr!

May 17 - Shrine's Inauguration. Formally turned over the Shrine to the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines. Of course we're still finishing up (and spending for!) construction and the interior.

What illnesses or health concerns did I have?

Still my back of course, but it has gotten a lot better because of YOGA! Yeah! I've been very very good about keeping a daily schedule of my yoga and have finished the first 3 weeks of the 10-week program!

In other illness and health concerns, Tita San had another emergency operation in her brain, starting with her passing out during their Korea layover. Prognosis doesn't look great for her, with her doctor giving her 3-4 months to live. She's beaten the odds before, and everyone has been praying for her recovery.

What fun things did I do with my friends and/or family?

Aside from all the birthdays and parties we celebrated this month, we also had:

1. The Sisterhood Challenge - Bang, Lai, Cathy and myself started this group to force us to finish our babies' first-year albums. To date, we have done the cover pages and the first month double spreads. Working on the baptism spread next.

2. Swimming Competition - an inter-club meet, with the kids all winning in their respective divisions. Raegan swims fast in the butterfly, Rogan in freestyle, and Raine in the breaststroke. According to their coach, they've all improved their personal best times.

What special or unusual purchases did I make?

Ummm.....digiscrap kits! Hehehe. Yes, despite the plethora of stuff I get from the awesome designers I CT for, I still have this URGE to buy more stuff! Hehehe.

One of the single BEST purchases I ever made was this book right here, How to Use Yoga by Mira Mehta. I chose this book primarily because of the 10-week schedule included towards the back of the book. A lifesaver, really, and it's done wonders for my back. I've bought this book for Bang and Rodney as well, that's how much I love it!

Oh, I almost forgot, there was an unusual purchase I did make: my PINK formal blouse for the Shrine Inauguration! Hehehe.

What were this month's disappointments?

Tita San getting hospitalized again, was a disappointment of sorts. The major disappointment was in how her children responded (or lack thereof) to the whole situation. That'll fill a looong blog post am sure. *roll eyes here* Edited to add: In fairness, RJ has stepped up to the plate and done an okay job being the big brother and the head of the family that he is now.

What were my accomplishments this month?

I made major strides in finishing my Cebu Album! Whoohoohoo! A few more before everything is finalized and everything is uploaded to Shutterfly.

I made some modest amount, enough to make those digi purchases *wink* and then some more.
Scrapping TOOTS:
1. Darcy Baldwin has asked me to stay on and be part of her CT!
2. Karah Fredricks has extended my Guest CT status to June!

So YAY me! :)

Anything else noteworthy to record?

Obviously, we had to scrap the birthday trip plans for Lola's 88th birthday. There was no way she was going to leave Tita San behind while she went gallivanting all over China could she?

Almost done planning for our trip to the States for our 10th wedding anniversary. Oh so close! :)

April Layout Count: 41!

***End of Round Up***

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just checking in to say hello!
Hugs,
Thena

Anonymous said...

Love your header..very cute and funky. I also think your round up is a classic idea. As a new blogger it's great to see all the different blogs and how people do such diverse things. TFS

Bryan, Stef, Chase, Abby & Emma said...

What an adorable header! Love your May Roundup!!!

Stacy V said...

Wow.. you had a busy month!

Anonymous said...

Great idea!

Katie Nelson said...

great job on your roundup Rona! :) I'm going to have to get that Shakespeare book because I love the Bard! :)