Saturday, June 02, 2007

Socy Talipapa and School Musings

How exactly to explain this to my non-Filipino readers (not that I have a lot, hehehe...but I just don't want to alienate anyone)? Socy, short for feeling "social-ite"-like, i.e., not liking feeling without money, not mendicant-y :) A talipapa is Filipino for wet market. So really, my title means a wet market for those with money to spend.

So anyway, I went with Sisterhood - Bang and Lai - to Salcedo Village to go to our Socy Talipapa. There was a TON of food, both cooked and raw. The stalls were erected on an empty parking lot in the middle of the business district of the country. Meats, dishes, flowers, desserts, fruits....there was just so much variety, it was amazing for someone like me who hates going to markets. Out of the 3 of us, I, who was very reluctant to go in the first place, came out buying the most.

I bought apples and pears and sinigwelas (some local tart-y fruit) from the fruit stand. I also bought bibingka and puto bungbung, native rice-based delicacies. Melon juice, crinkles, black-ink paella and some Malaysian sweet bread rounded my purchases.

It was sweltering hot, but I was excited with my purchases. And the ONE thing that made this place totally UNIQUE??? It was probably the ONLY talipapa kind of market in the whole wide world that had SHOPPING CARTS available for use as we went around the parking lot. Heheehe. Only in the Philippines, only in Makati. Wish I had photos to show, but Elizza has them and hasn't shared them yet. :)

{School Musings}

With school for the kids a week away, I am a flurry of activity preparing for it. We haven't done any GSS (our summer homeschooling program, hehehe) for several weeks now, and I feel so guilty! Of course, the kids are having fun playing Wii and don't even bother reminding me about it anymore! Sigh!

I did pay off tuition for the whole year now, which was about P300,000!!! Sheesh! Can anyone say TOO MUCH?!?!? Aaaargh! Good thing I'm happy about their school, otherwise it would be like pulling teeth if you forced me to pay tuition! I like how their school has an advanced curriculum AND that they go until Grade 6 only in the elementary level. That saves me at least a year's worth of tuition! :)

I wonder if they're going to be taking up Astronomy anytime soon. The kids have touched on the subject of space ever since preschool, but I wonder how much more into detail they'll go in the elementary years. Raegan will be Grade 3 this year, and I'm excited to see her curriculum!

I love the interactive guides and images I see on meade my sky, a website that features the latest in astronomy gadgets and other technological toys :) I know, I'm a nerd, but I loved studying astronomy in college and the kids have shown a more-than-passing interest whenever they study space and the planets and stars.

Plus, with astronomy news such as Pluto not being a planet and what a blue moon is (which is what we just had the past month), it behooves me and the kids to know more about our planet and our galaxy.

Plus, I bought a digital scrapbooking kit with space and stars and the constellations in it, and I've been itching to use it! Hehehehe. But you knew that, right? ;)


No comments: