Sunday, June 03, 2007

Serendra

After mass at 10 am, we went to Serendra to have lunch with Japa's side of the family. We were celebrating 3 birthdays: Mom Nena's, Jopie's and Justine's. We ate at Polokai Grill, a hawaiian restaurant. It was pretty good, but not cheap. I had shrimp pasta, Japa had this ginormous squid steak, Rogan had pork chops and rice, Raegan the chicken and rib platter, Raine a pizza (but she ended up eating Raegan's leftovers, hehehe) and Ranger a cup of soup and 2 slices of pizza! Whew! I don't remember what everyone else ordered but there was a lot of food.

We also caught up on news with Regie, Japa's younger sister, back from Chicago. She said she didn't like staying there as the weather was too extreme and she was simply homesick most of the time. And here we thought we could visit her sometime and have a place to stop by in Chicago! Hehehe.

{Bookstore Run}

After lunch, Raegan and I went to the bookstore to pick a book series for her to read. Junie B Jones was getting to be too easy for her, and I could barely pick a word from the books to supplement her vocabulary! She would breeze through the books and I felt that she needed a litte bit more of a challenge, especially since I wanted her to learn more words.

So she looked and looked and looked. I pointed her towards the older kids section and she spent a few minutes looking at books. With some suggestions, she narrowed down her choice to a couple of books from the Little House on the Prairie series: Little House on Rocky Ridge and Little House in Brookfield.

This series is appropriately for Grades 3-5, which is fine for vocabulary purposes. And at least she's chosen chapter books again, so that's definitely a plus! Hopefully, she'll get into reading again, right before school starts.

Now to work on the other two kids.....

All that time spent in the bookstore brought back memories of reading books just for the pleasure of it. I survived on Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, the Bobbsey Twins and all books written by Enid Blyton. I've always had a thirst for knowledge and that has definitely helped me during all my school years.


No comments: